Gateway Unified School District is utilizing Apple's Volume Purchase Program (VPP) to purchase and assign apps. Through VPP, the District receives up to 50% discount on most apps purchases of 20 quantities or more at the time of purchase. VPP does not include free apps with "In App Purchases" that unlocks the "full version".
Considerations before Purchasing
- Books, music, and movies are not available for purchase.
- Staff should not purchase apps with "In App upgrade" or "In App Purchases" for the full version.
- The IT Department cannot guarantee that an app will function correctly on the District's network. Most apps are designed for the home network that do not have any restrictions/filtering.
- We recommend that before you request a bulk purchase, test a free version (if available).
- If the app fails to function as designed, please submit a IT Help Desk ticket so the IT Department can investigate the app's compatibility.
How to Purchase iOS/iPad Apps
For fast response, use this form to purchase iOS/iPad apps for yourself or class. You will need to log into the district website in order to complete the form. If you do not know your account/password, give us a call at (530) 245-7950.
Alternatively, you can email your school site administrator and/or supervisor with the following information:
- App Name and App Developer (see below).
- Cost and the number of licenses for the app.
- Student names and/or iPad serial numbers (see below).
- Reason(s) stating why you would like the app.
Once your site administrator and/or supervisor approves, he/she will email the IT Department's Technology Department Secretary to start the purchasing process.
Once funding has been verified, and the apps have been purchased, IT will push the apps to the iPads that you have listed in #3 or it will be published in the Gateway Apps for you or your students to install.
Locating App Information and Cost
Step 1: Open your web browser and navigate to the Volume Purchase Program store Note: You do not need to login.
Step 2: Type the name of the app in the Search field, select "iOS Apps" as the Media Type, leave Category as "All" and click on the "Search" button.
Step 3: Write down the app name and developer name and then click on the app name to display the app's "Purchase Details".
Step 4: Write down the price of the app. Calculate the total cost by multiplying the initial cost by the number of iPads.
Step 5: Copy the web address from the browser.
- For example: https://volume.itunes.apple.com/us/app/pages/id361309726?mt=8
Locating iPad's Serial Number
You may look at the back of the iPad for the serial number or follow these steps without having to take the iPad's case off.
Step 1: Locate and click on the Settings icon.
Step 2: Under the General tab, press "About".
Step 3: Locate and write down the serial number.